Sports betting is continuing to gain popularity among youth, particularly those on college campuses and within minority communities according to a new NCAA-commissioned survey.
The online survey of over 3,500 individuals between 18- to 22-year-olds revealed that more than half of respondents were placing sports wagers, two-thirds of which live on college campuses.
NCAA president Charlie Baker commissioned the survey to establish a baseline of sports betting activity in the new US gambling landscape. In the last five years, 33 states and the District of Columbia have launched legal betting markets and several more are gearing up to enter the bookmaking business later this year.
According to the survey, 58% of respondents admitted to making at least one sports wager, while 67% of students living on campus stated they are bettors and bet more frequently.
In the poll, 79% of participants reported betting between $1 and $50 every play, with $10 to $20 being the most often bet sum. Black or African American respondents were the outliers, with 10% betting more than $100 on average, compared to 5% in the entire population.
The most popular league among 18-22-year-olds was the NFL, followed by professional basketball (NBA/WNBA). College basketball and football came in third and fourth place, respectively.
The poll also revealed that states with legal markets had roughly the same rate of betting participation as states without licensed sportsbooks.
In the coming months, the NCAA will conduct another study of student-athletes focusing solely on their betting habits.
The NCAA put out the study less than a month after it was discovered that a baseball coach at Alabama and players at Iowa and Iowa State had made illegal sports bets.
Sports Betting Ramps Up in Canada
Last year, Ontario became the first province in Canada to implement a regulated sports betting program, allowing various operators to provide legal, online sports gambling services.
With over 40 operators and 76 websites/apps available after only one year of legalization, Ontario is quickly becoming one of the major igaming markets in North America.
During its first year, the industry generated roughly $1.4 billion in gaming revenue and $35.6 billion in wagers.
Among the companies within Ontario’s nascent online gambling market is NorthStar Gaming Holdings Inc. (TSXV:BET), a Canadian-owned gaming brand that operates NorthStar Bets, a casino and sportsbook gaming platform that offers a distinctly local user experience.
NorthStar Bets offers a wide range of popular online casino games and includes a sportsbook that provides real-time news, data, analysis, and scores directly within the betting environment.
NorthStar Gaming launched Northstar Bets in partnership with Playtech PLC (LSE:PTECH) (OTC:PYTCY), a leading provider of B2C gambling tech. The partnership saw Playtech become NorthStar’s strategic software and services supplier, providing its IMS platform and casino services to Ontario’s gambling market.
To fuel expansion and growth across the Canadian market, Playtech made a C$12.25 million strategic investment into Northstar Gaming. This investment marked the completion of Northstar's reverse takeover (RTO) financing, raising aggregate gross proceeds of C$22.33 million.
NorthStar Gaming combines a top-notch casino and sportsbook experience with exceptional customer service, including live, on-call agents, and original sports news and gaming content. Leveraging its strong Ontario roots, the company benefits from its local presence, allowing it to stay in tune with the province's preferences and adapt accordingly.
NorthStar is well-positioned to become a leader in the junction of sports media and sports wagering thanks to collaborations and agreements with prominent media firms, including an omnichannel advertising and marketing services agreement with Torstar Corporation, the creator of the Toronto Star.
NorthStar, which operates under an operating agreement with iGaming Ontario and is regulated by the Ontario Alcohol and Gaming Commission (OAGC), is committed to being a gaming industry leader by upholding the highest security and integrity standards demanded by Canadians
On May 8, NorthStar Gaming completed the acquisition of Slapshot Media, a Canadian iGaming marketing and managed services company. The acquisition enhances NorthStar's presence in the Canadian market outside of Ontario and significantly broadens its addressable market through its association with Spreads.ca, an iGaming site owned and operated by the Abenaki Council of Wolinak.
The addition of Slapshot Media complements NorthStar Gaming's existing online casino and sportsbook capabilities. It's important to note that while Spreads.ca will not be available in Ontario, NorthStar Bets will continue to be NorthStar's sole online casino and sportsbook within the province.
1) The author of the Article, or members of the author’s immediate household or family, do not own any securities of the companies set forth in this Article. The author determined which companies would be included in this article based on research and understanding of the sector.
2) The Article was issued on behalf of and sponsored by, NorthStar Gaming Holdings. Market Jar Media Inc. has or expects to receive from NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ Digital Marketing Agency of Record (Native Ads Inc) one thousand one hundred USD for this article.
3) Statements and opinions expressed are the opinions of the author and not Market Jar Media Inc., its directors or officers. The author is wholly responsible for the validity of the statements. The author was not paid by Market Jar Media Inc. for this Article. Market Jar Media Inc. was not paid by the author to publish or syndicate this Article. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Market Jar Media Inc. requires contributing authors to disclose any shareholdings in, or economic relationships with, companies that they write about. Market Jar Media Inc. relies upon the authors to accurately provide this information and Market Jar Media Inc. has no means of verifying its accuracy.
5) Market Jar Media Inc. and its respective directors, officers and employees hold no shares for any company mentioned in the Article.
6) This document contains forward-looking information and forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation, (collectively, “forward-looking statements”), which reflect management's expectations regarding NorthStar Gaming Holdings’s future growth, future business plans and opportunities, expected activities, and other statements about future events, results or performance. Wherever possible, words such as “predicts”, “projects”, “targets”, “plans”, “expects”, “does not expect”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “anticipate” or “does not anticipate”, “believe”, “intend” and similar expressions or statements that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” be taken, occur or be achieved, or the negative or grammatical variation thereof or other variations thereof, or comparable terminology have been used to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements relating to: (a) revenue generating potential with respect to NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ industry; (b) market opportunity; (c) NorthStar Gaming Holdings business plans and strategies; (d) services that NorthStar Gaming Holdings intends to offer; (e) NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ milestone projections and targets; (f) NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ expectations regarding receipt of approval for regulatory applications; (g) NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ intentions to expand into other jurisdictions including the timeline expectations relating to those expansion plans; and (h)NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ expectations with regarding its ability to deliver shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and are based upon a number of estimates and assumptions of management in light of management’s experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances, as of the date of this document including, without limitation, assumptions about: (a) the ability to raise any necessary additional capital on reasonable terms to execute NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ business plan; (b) that general business and economic conditions will not change in a material adverse manner; (c) NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ ability to procure equipment and operating supplies in sufficient quantities and on a timely basis; (d) NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ ability to enter into contractual arrangements with additional Pharmacies; (e) the accuracy of budgeted costs and expenditures; (f) NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; (g) political and regulatory stability; (h) the receipt of governmental, regulatory and third-party approvals, licenses and permits on favorable terms; (i) changes in applicable legislation; (j) stability in financial and capital markets; and (k) expectations regarding the level of disruption to as a result of CV-19. Such forward-looking information involves a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements of NorthStar Gaming Holdings to be materially different from any future plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks include, without limitation: (a) NorthStar Gaming Holdings operations could be adversely affected by possible future government legislation, policies and controls or by changes in applicable laws and regulations; (b) public health crises such as CV-19 may adversely impact NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ business; (c) the volatility of global capital markets; (d) political instability and changes to the regulations governing NorthStar Gaming Holdings’ business operations (e) NorthStar Gaming Holdings may be unable to implement its growth strategy; and (f) increased competition.Except as required by law, NorthStar Gaming Holdings undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future event or otherwise, after the date on which the statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Neither does NorthStar Gaming Holdings nor any of its representatives make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, sufficiency or completeness of the information in this document. Neither NorthStar Gaming Holdings nor any of its representatives shall have any liability whatsoever, under contract, tort, trust or otherwise, to you or any person resulting from the use of the information in this document by you or any of your representatives or for omissions from the information in this document.
7) Any graphs, tables or other information demonstrating the historical performance or current or historical attributes of NorthStar Gaming Holdings or any other entity contained in this document are intended only to illustrate historical performance or current or historical attributes of NorthStar Gaming Holdings or such entities and are not necessarily indicative of future performance of NorthStar Gaming Holdings or such entities.
View source version on newsdirect.com: https://newsdirect.com/news/young-adults-are-betting-more-on-sports-394687744