Vancouver, BC, Canada, September 12th, 2023 – Defence Therapeutics Inc. (“Defence” or the “Company”), one of the leading Canadian biotechnology companies, is pleased to announce its continuation to bringing innovative strategies aimed at targeting various indications related to immune-oncology.
Whether using an antibody, cell-based vaccine or small molecule therapeutics, the common denominator in all of Defence’s development products is the Accum® technology, a platform specifically designed to strategically enhance and increase the efficacy of any existing bio-drug against cancer. This Accum® technology can be exploited to design a multitude of products including: i) antibody-drug conjugates (“ADCs”), ii) protein/cellular vaccines, and iii) the design of anti-cancer small chemotypes.
The Accum®-ADC program
ADCs were originally made to target breast cancer. The treatment regimens used with these ADCs usually require large doses, while the therapeutic response is limited or weak. By bio-conjugating ADCs with Accum®, Defence has demonstrated improved potency of commercially available ADCs by 20 to 100 folds. Although Defence is using this approach to optimize commercially available ADCs such as Enhertu®, the company is actively working on developing two in-house ADCs using its own proprietary monoclonal antibodies targeting two tumor-specific cell surface proteins and payloads. In addition, Defence is partnering with Orano, a world-renowned multinational company, to develop the next-generation radio-immunoconjugates using Defence’s intracellular targeting Accum® technology to provide distinctive best-in-class ADC therapies.
Protein- and cell-based vaccines targeting cancer
Although ADCs represent great tools to directly attack and kill cancer cells, they are ideal against a hand-full types of cancer and lack the ability to trigger a long-lasting memory response. This forms the basis of Defence’s vaccine program. Defence engineered and tested a dual acting vaccine targeting cervical cancer. In this context, the term “dual” refers to the vaccine ability to protect and/or treat established cervical (or head and neck – also induced by HPV) cancer. This protein-based vaccine is based on the use of a single protein (in contrast to a mix of 9 viral-derived capsid proteins). In preclinical models, Defence demonstrated that the vaccine synergises with various immune-checkpoint blockers resulting in survival rate between 70 and 100%. With the completion of all GLP studies, Defence is actively working to manufacture the vaccine to initiate a Phase I clinical trial against head and neck cancer in 2024, either by itself or in partnership.
Another successful Defence’s vaccine example demonstrating yet again the versatility of the Accum® technology is the design of the ARM vaccine, relying on the use of a type of stem cell pharmacologically re-programmed to behave as antigen presenting cells. The use of this universal off-the shelf vaccine has shown impressive cure rates (80-100%) in solid T-cell lymphoma and melanoma models. In parallel to its manufacturing for Phase I clinical trial targeted in Q1 of 2024, Defence is currently testing the vaccine against two hard-to-treat diseases: pancreatic and ovarian cancer. What makes the ARM vaccine special could be summarized in twofold: i) its impressive therapeutic potency, and ii) its adaptability to treat any solid or liquid tumor given granted access to patients-tumor samples.
The AccuTOXTM program: a new line of anti-cancer therapeutics
Although the goal of using Accum® has been mostly to improve biomolecules accumulation in target cells, the Defence team discovered that delivery of unconjugated Accum® or its derivatives can exert potent anti-cancer properties. This observation gave rise to the AccuTOXTM moiety, a lead Accum® variant capable of halting pre-established lymphoma, melanoma and cervical cancer when give with different immune-checkpoint blockers. More specifically, the AccuTOXTM was shown to cause DNA damage and trigger a form of immunogenic cell death capable of activating the immune system in parallel. AccuTOXTM destroys tumor cells from the inside-out and stimulate an immune response to protect the host from subsequent tumor re-growth. With manufacturing fully completed, IND filling is expected in Q4 of 2023 to start a Phase I clinical trial against a basket of solid tumors at City of Hope National Medical Center and Beckman Research Institute.
Accum Drug the Undruggable®
Defence Therapeutics® is on the verge of very important inflection points. Its pipeline is well positioned to prevent cancer and/or enhance the efficacy of any bio-drug designed to target cancer. With all these products and an active program on mRNA cancer vaccines, Defence is in a strong position to truly make a difference in helping reduce cancer death rate. Defence is focussing and dedicating its leadership against one of the biggest enemies of humanity: cancer.
According Market.us, the global oncology market recorded a valuation of USD 208 billion in 2022 and is expected to reach USD 628 billion by the end of 2032, expanding at a CAGR of 12% over the decade.
Defence Therapeutics is a publicly-traded biotechnology company working on engineering the next generation vaccines and ADC products using its proprietary platform. The core of Defence Therapeutics platform is the ACCUMTM technology, which enables precision delivery of vaccine antigens or ADCs in their intact form to target cells. As a result, increased efficacy and potency can be reached against catastrophic illness such as cancer and infectious diseases.
For further information:
Sebastien Plouffe, President, CEO and Director
P: (514) 947-2272
Cautionary Statement Regarding “Forward-Looking” Information
This release includes certain statements that may be deemed “forward-looking statements”. All statements in this release, other than statements of historical facts, that address events or developments that the Company expects to occur, are forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are statements that are not historical facts and are generally, but not always, identified by the words “expects”, “plans”, “anticipates”, “believes”, “intends”, “estimates”, “projects”, “potential” and similar expressions, or that events or conditions “will”, “would”, “may”, “could” or “should” occur. Although the Company believes the expectations expressed in such forward-looking statements are based on reasonable assumptions, such statements are not guarantees of future performance and actual results may differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. Factors that could cause the actual results to differ materially from those in forward-looking statements include regulatory actions, market prices, and continued availability of capital and financing, and general economic, market or business conditions. Investors are cautioned that any such statements are not guarantees of future performance and actual results or developments may differ materially from those projected in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements are based on the beliefs, estimates and opinions of the Company’s management on the date the statements are made. Except as required by applicable securities laws, the Company undertakes no obligation to update these forward-looking statements in the event that management’s beliefs, estimates or opinions, or other factors, should change. Neither the CSE nor its market regulator, as that term is defined in the policies of the CSE, accepts responsibility for the adequacy or accuracy of this release.
Featured Image @ FreePik
1) The author of the Article, or members of the author’s immediate household or family, do not own any securities of the companies set forth in this Article. The author determined which companies would be included in this article based on research and understanding of the sector.
2) The Article was issued on behalf of and sponsored by, Defence Therapeutics Inc. Market Jar Media Inc. has or expects to receive from Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s Digital Marketing Agency of Record (Native Ads Inc.) ninety six thousand five hundred US dollars for 30 days (21 business days).
3) Statements and opinions expressed are the opinions of the author and not Market Jar Media Inc., its directors or officers. The author is wholly responsible for the validity of the statements. The author was not paid by Market Jar Media Inc. for this Article. Market Jar Media Inc. was not paid by the author to publish or syndicate this Article. Market Jar has not independently verified or otherwise investigated all such information. None of Market Jar or any of their respective affiliates, guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any such information. The information provided above is for informational purposes only and is not a recommendation to buy or sell any security. Market Jar Media Inc. requires contributing authors to disclose any shareholdings in, or economic relationships with, companies that they write about. Market Jar Media Inc. relies upon the authors to accurately provide this information and Market Jar Media Inc. has no means of verifying its accuracy.
5) Market Jar Media Inc. and its respective directors, officers and employees hold no shares for any company mentioned in the Article.
6) This document contains forward-looking information and forward-looking statements, within the meaning of applicable Canadian securities legislation, (collectively, “forward-looking statements”), which reflect management’s expectations regarding Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s future growth, future business plans and opportunities, expected activities, and other statements about future events, results or performance. Wherever possible, words such as “predicts”, “projects”, “targets”, “plans”, “expects”, “does not expect”, “budget”, “scheduled”, “estimates”, “forecasts”, “anticipate” or “does not anticipate”, “believe”, “intend” and similar expressions or statements that certain actions, events or results “may”, “could”, “would”, “might” or “will” be taken, occur or be achieved, or the negative or grammatical variation thereof or other variations thereof, or comparable terminology have been used to identify forward-looking statements. These forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements relating to: (a) revenue generating potential with respect to Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s industry; (b) market opportunity; (c) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business plans and strategies; (d) services that Defence Therapeutics Inc. intends to offer; (e) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s milestone projections and targets; (f) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s expectations regarding receipt of approval for regulatory applications; (g) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s intentions to expand into other jurisdictions including the timeline expectations relating to those expansion plans; and (h) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s expectations with regarding its ability to deliver shareholder value. Forward-looking statements are not a guarantee of future performance and are based upon a number of estimates and assumptions of management in light of management’s experience and perception of trends, current conditions and expected developments, as well as other factors that management believes to be relevant and reasonable in the circumstances, as of the date of this document including, without limitation, assumptions about: (a) the ability to raise any necessary additional capital on reasonable terms to execute Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business plan; (b) that general business and economic conditions will not change in a material adverse manner; (c) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s ability to procure equipment and operating supplies in sufficient quantities and on a timely basis; (d) the accuracy of budgeted costs and expenditures; (e) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s ability to attract and retain skilled personnel; (f) political and regulatory stability; (g) the receipt of governmental, regulatory and third-party approvals, licenses and permits on favorable terms; (h) changes in applicable legislation; (i) stability in financial and capital markets; and (j) expectations regarding the level of disruption to as a result of CV-19. Such forward-looking information involves a variety of known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause the actual plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements of Defence Therapeutics Inc. to be materially different from any future plans, intentions, activities, results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such risks include, without limitation: (a) Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s operations could be adversely affected by possible future government legislation, policies and controls or by changes in applicable laws and regulations; (b) public health crises such as CV-19 may adversely impact Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business; (c) the volatility of global capital markets; (d) political instability and changes to the regulations governing Defence Therapeutics Inc.’s business operations (e) Defence Therapeutics Inc. may be unable to implement its growth strategy; and (f) increased competition.
Except as required by law, Defence Therapeutics Inc. undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future event or otherwise, after the date on which the statements are made or to reflect the occurrence of unanticipated events. Neither does Defence Therapeutics Inc. nor any of its representatives make any representation or warranty, express or implied, as to the accuracy, sufficiency or completeness of the information in this document. Neither Defence Therapeutics Inc. nor any of its representatives shall have any liability whatsoever, under contract, tort, trust or otherwise, to you or any person resulting from the use of the information in this document by you or any of your representatives or for omissions from the information in this document.
7) Any graphs, tables or other information demonstrating the historical performance or current or historical attributes of Defence Therapeutics Inc. or any other entity contained in this document are intended only to illustrate historical performance or current or historical attributes of Defence Therapeutics Inc. or such entities and are not necessarily indicative of future performance of Defence Therapeutics Inc. or such entities.
8) Investing is risky. The information provided in this article should not be considered as a substitute for professional financial consultation. Users should be aware that investing in any form carries inherent risks, and as such, there is a possibility of losing some or all of their investment. The value of investments can fluctuate significantly within a short period, and investors must understand that past performance is not indicative of future results. Additionally, users should exercise caution as transactions involving investments may be irreversible, even in cases of fraud or accidental actions. It is crucial to acknowledge that rapidly evolving laws and technical issues can have adverse effects on the usability, transferability, exchangeability, and value of investments. Furthermore, users must be cognizant of potential security risks associated with their investment activities. Individuals are strongly encouraged to conduct thorough research, seek professional advice, and carefully evaluate their risk tolerance before engaging in any investment endeavors. Market Jar Media Inc. is neither an investment adviser nor a broker-dealer. The information presented on the website is provided for informative purposes only and is not to be treated as a recommendation to make any specific investment. No such information on PressReach.com constitutes advice or a recommendation.
- Featured News RSS feed
- Investing News RSS feed
- Daily Press Releases RSS feed
- Trading Tips RSS feed
- Investing Videos RSS feed